Themes of Galatians
Written by Paul D. Race for SchoolOfTheRock.com
The list below is not scripture, but a summary of Saint Paul’s main points.
- Blessings from the church and from Jesus who has saved us from our sins. (1:1-5)
- I am surprised you are so easily led astray from the true gospel. (1:6-9)
- Those who are misleading you claim to have received their message from great men, but I received this message directly from Jesus. (1:10, 2:1-10).
- In fact, I’ve even had to reprove Christian leaders who are squeamish about living by grace in front of their legalistic friends. (2:11-21)
- When you substitute works for grace, you make the Jesus’ sacrifice on the cross worthless. (3:1-4)
- Even Abraham, the father of the Jews, was saved by faith, not by works. (3:5-7)
- Abraham’s seed, Jesus, was prophesied to save the world through faith. (3:7-18)
- The law was not an end itself, but a “tutor” to lead us all (men and women, slave and free, Jew and Gentile) to faith. (3:19-29, 4:1-8)
- But when you turn from grace back to works, you are turning your back on the true Gospel that I taught you in great hardship. (4:9-16)
- The false teachers don’t want to help you, they want to make you dependent on them (4:17)
- I wish I could be there now to help you sort this out. (4:18-20)
- But even the Scripture teaches of the difference between the “children of the flesh” (works) and the “children of the promise” (faith). (4:21-31)
- Attempting to go back to being saved by works is the same as denying the cross. (5:1-6)
- This encouragement to trade faith for works doesn’t come from God or through God’s messengers. (5:7-12)
- If we live by the flesh, we will eventually produce the fruit of the flesh. If we live by the Spirit, we will bring forth the fruit of the spirit. (5:13-26)
- Be kind, wise, and concerned for each other’s welfare. (6:1-10)
- Don’t be fooled by people who preach legalistic ideas but make exceptions for themselves. (6:11-13)
- But those who follow Christ instead of the law will know peace and mercy. (6:14-16)
To return to the Galatians Index Page, click HERE.
To go to the next page, click HERE.
Click HERE for a printer friendly (PDF version) of this page.